It's not enough for us to do a good job, we strive to educate our customers about mold and ways to prevent mold from coming back. Below are some common questions we get asked.
For your convenience we've included links to the CDC, EPA, Minnesota Department of Health, and University of Minnesota.
No. Molds are common and are a vital part of our ecosystem. Many don't affect most people. However, excessive mold growth can be damaging or harmful.
Mold needs moisture, a suitable temperature, and a food source. Cellulose in wood, wallboard, and wallpaper is a good food source. Excessive moisture promotes growth.
There are concerns about potential effects on health to some individuals, particularly those who have asthma, allergies or compromised immune systems. Reaction to mold exposure is a result of dosage, the duration of the exposure, and an individual's sensitivity to particular types of molds. A person can react to one or some, but usually not all types of mold.
Bleach is not effective for killing mold on porous surfaces such as wood and sheetrock and can be damaging even when properly diluted. Most "Kilz" products are only stain blocking primers and don't stop the underlying mold growth. We use a commercial grade quaternary ammonium chloride solution to kill the mold without damaging the structure or producing hazardous fumes.
Refer to the United States Environmental Protection Agency or Minnesota Department of Health guidelines for investigating, evaluating, and remediating moisture and mold problems.
If the affected area exceeds 10 square feet, the EPA recommends using professional equipment and procedures.
If mold is not dealt with, it will spread and can cause more damage.
Additionally, disclosure of moisture and mold incidents is legally required. Home buyers and mortgage lenders are frequently demanding home inspections and are conscious of mold problems. It will be more costly to repair the damage if mold spreads.
This term is a scare tactic; there is no specific mold that is life threatening by its mere presence. Most indoor mold is black, and healthy individuals are not likely to experience severe effects from small amounts of mold growth. The Centers for Disease Control and other experts found no association between exposure to mold and the illnesses reported by the media.
If you're concerned about a musty smell or found mold within your home call us today.
University of Minnesota
Minnesota Department of Health